Dana DeLouis

The question is asked because of notating the problem of The Four Fours...

1)
intending which was the sqrt(4)/sqrt(0.4444444)=3 and summarized the
formula

2)
eg the formula (Fact(4)*4)+(sqrt(4)/sqrt(.4444444))=99 and would be
correct
but for the fact there are more than Four Fours in it.

Hi. A little off topic I know, but I see you are trying to only use the
functions (+ - * / ^ ! Sqrt) on (4,4,4,4) (Four 4's)

1)
There was an interesting Journal article about a year ago on "Algebraic
Programming." It was referencing another programming language.
In short, if we freeze such things as Communative and Associative laws, etc,
I count 273 solutions that total 3.

Here are just 5 of the 273 that total 3 picked at random:
=FACT(4)/SQRT(4)/SQRT(4)/SQRT(4)
=(FACT(4)+FACT(4)+FACT(4))/FACT(4)
=(4+SQRT(4)) / (4-SQRT(4))
=(4/4)^SQRT(4)+SQRT(4)
=4-FACT(4)^(FACT(4)-FACT(4))

2)
However, I am not showing any solutions for 99.
For 98, I count 52. ie

=4*FACT(4) + 4/SQRT(4)
=(4+FACT(4)*4)-SQRT(4)

and for 100, I count 99 solutions.
ie =4*(FACT(4)+FACT(4)/FACT(4))

However, I'm showing nothing that totals 99.

Good luck. Might be interesting to add more functions in the list to
examine.
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"JayBea" wrote in message

"Faz" wrote:

JayBea, what exactly do you mean by this?

2/.4~ =3

If you mean something like 0.33333333 and so on, you can put 1/3

From what i see, you're saying 2/0.444444... but that would be 4.5, not
3.

Sorry My mistake on the formula I was thinking of the final result I was
intending which was the sqrt(4)/sqrt(0.4444444)=3 and summarised the
formula
a little too much :-)

The question is asked because of notating the problem of The Four Fours in
Excel where the only digit you can use is the number 4 and no more or less
than four times in the formula. This is why I was looking for the notation
for a recurring number, in order to only use the digit "4" once by
denoting
it as recurring.