David

Frank,
Thanks again.
=cat*dog would work OK, but this does not throw any light on the problem i
am trying to describe...
The nature of my problem is about applying names to references in formulas
retrospectively. I have been handed a workbook full of formulas and not a
name in sight. I need to make this spaghetti like mess into something that is
readable. Liberal use of range names would be a good start. I want to name
ranges and then update formulas that refer to those ranges such that the
formulas now refer to names instead of cell addreses. Insert\Name\Apply...
works ok provided the "name" and formula to which it is being applied are on
the same sheet. In the case of my spaghetti workbook I need to make formulas
refer to names that are on other shsets. Any ideas?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try entering the following directly as a formula
=cat*dog