Henrik

Yeah, I wanted to keep my example simple although I intend on using this for
something much more sophisticated. My sample dataset looks like this (columns
A and B)

a 1
a 2
a 3
b 4
b 5
b 6
b 7

{=SUM(IF(("a"=$A$1:$A$7),$B$1:$B$7,))}
gives me "6" as intended

{=MEDIAN(IF(("a"=$A$1:$A$7),$B$1:$B$7,))}
gives me "0" although I want it to return "2" (i.e. I want it to find the
median of just observations which has "a" in COLUMN A).

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate your help as this is something that has
been bugging me for a while.

Thanks,
Henrik

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Henrik wrote...
Is it possible to submit the MEDIAN() function as an array (ctrl + shift +
enter)?

Yes.

However, when I submit

{=MEDIAN(IF(("a"=$A$1:$A$7),$B$1:$B$7,))}

it does not give me the intended result.

Since these are fairly short arrays, what's in A1:B7, what result do
you get, and what result were you expecting?