Harlan Grove

wrote...
This discussion is suffering from diminishing returns.
But just to clarify: I never put myself above anyone
else, nor did I disparage anyone. You questioned my
judgment; I explained the basis for my judgment. That
was all.

You're the one who claimed you wanted to avoid a manual sort. I've
pointed out that if you have fewer than a million or so values, you
don't need a manual sort and CAN RELY on Excel giving you distinct
values from RAND. You're the one who then went off on the irrelevant
tangent of hardware RNGs.

Your experience with hardware RNGs is irrelevant to Excel or actually
deleterious to your suggested use of Excel (not relying on the periodic
nature of Excel's PRNG). In short, any judgment you may have developed
from your experience with hardware RNGs may actually lead to POOR
judgment when using Excel.

It's a public service to point out poor judgment in newsgroups.