Ben Amada

Default Data in narrow columns truncated when saving as DBF

I have a requirement to save some data in an Excel file in DBF format which
Excel can do. However I noticed that if the columns in Excel are not wide
enough, the data in the columns is truncated when I re-open the DBF file in
Excel. It's also truncated when I open the DBF file with this other 3rd
party application. Please note that the amount of text in each column is
not that much -- maybe 15-25 characters.

I have to re-type the data, expand the columns to be wider than the actual
data (so the data is completely visible and then some), then re-save the
file in DBF format.

Does anyone know why Excel truncates the data when the columns aren't wide
enough?? This seems ridiculous that Excel would do that. Also, is there
any setting or option in Excel to prevent this from happening?

Thank you,
Ben