bj

the simplest way to get the format for the other workbook is to enter "=" and
go to the other workbook and click on the cell you want to use as the start
of your lookup table.
hit enter and go back to the cell and delete the "=" . this should not be
in the format which would be recognised by the indirect() function.

"DaveO" wrote:

It's in another Workbook entirely. It's getting the other workbook name being
dynamic that I'm having the problems with.#

TIA.

"bj" wrote:

try something like
=vlookup(lookup value,offset(indirect(A10),0,0,height,width), col)
where A10 would contain the sheetname and cell reference for the upper left
cell in the lookuprange ie
'Sheet 10'!A24

"DaveO" wrote:

A vlookup is simple in it's capabilities, but I want to get clever.

I'm looking up a value from another workbook. Simple enough in itself, but
heres the thing.

I'd like to write a dynamic vlookup that checks the value of another cell to
find the table array for it to look up from.

Basically I have a table of data, the column headers are dates. I have a
report that is run daily that I need to look up from. Rather than implicitly
referencing each sheet I'd like to tell the vlookup to check the date in the
column header and use that for the sheet. The range inside of the sheets is
always the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.