wrote:
Normally I manually sort $A1:$O2 (in Bryan's example)
based on column A.

Duh, I meant to say "based on row 1" in Bryan's example.

I am used to putting related sets of numbers in columns,
not in rows as Bryan did. Generally I can see more rows
than columns on the display. It is easy for me to see
rows 1-15; harder to see columns A-O. So I would have
put =RAND() in A1:A15, 1-15 in B1:B15, and the appropriate
VLOOKUP() function in C1:C15. But that's just me.

Hmm, well, perhaps that is an important point to make.
It appears that the SORT tool can only sort by column,
not row. Is that really true!? (I'd be surprised.)