Dave Peterson

Select the column and
edit|replace
what: - (dash)
with: (leave blank)
replace all

Then apply your custom format of 000000000

Or use a helper column of cells filled with formulas like:

=text(--substitute(a1,"-",""),"000000000")

Claire View wrote:

I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers
are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to
123456789.

I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing
changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting
or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is
there an answer?

--

Dave Peterson