Default Summing partial strings.

For some time now I have been downloading bank statements. I have
columns for Transaction Date, Transaction Details, Amount, Balance, and
one transaction per row and one worksheet per month.

Transaction Details is a variable string, but there are some common
elements, e.g Cheque No 0001, Cheque No 0002.

What I would like to be able to do on each months worksheet is to
automatically sum all of the outgoings to Cheques. So I need a
function/formulae that will look in the Transaction Details column for
'Cheque', i.e. part of the string, and sum all corresponding
Amounts in the adjacent column and put the answer in a 'Total Cheques'
row that I will insert further down the sheet.

I suspect I could use the 'SUMIF' function, but don't know how to do
the partial string bit.

What's the best/easiest way of doing this?

Does anyone have a ready made formulae?

I would then want to modify this for other partial strings, e.g. Cash
Machine, on the same worksheet.

TIA.