Gary''s Student

This is only an example:

Say in column A you have numbers like 123-456-7890, then in column B put

=LEFT(A1,3)

this would show as 123. Copy this formula down. You now have data the you
can use VLOOKUP() on to get the items from you area code table
--
Gary''s Student

"NoYouShmoopie" wrote:

I have a column with US phone numbers (all numerical, 10 digits). I would
like to have the State name in a column right next to the phone number, and
the Time Zone in the next column to the right.

I have the master Area Code, State, Time Zone data in any format needed: one
long string, range, VBA constant...

The obvious solution is to write a VBA that uses the 3 left-most digits and
scans the master area-code table to find a match. The only problem is that my
list of phone numbers has several 10,000 numbers and scanning the master area
code again and again will take hours...

Any advanced idea anyone?

--
MF