Ken Wright

By all means send me a copy and I'll take a look at what you have in there
vs what you don't.

If I read you correctly you have two workbooks, one with calcs and one with
variables, with the calcs one referencing the variables one. You then send
out just the one with calcs but it still appears to be able to reference the
variables one?

Is that correct?

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"will" wrote in message
Can someone explain this to me, so that I can better understand what is
happening:-

We are a print company and we want to give our customer an estimating
workbook, that is made up of lots of different calculations, based on
about
20 different types of variable. The value of these 20 variables change
from
customer to customer, and they will be for things like price of a printing
plate, or price to run the printing press etc etc. The estimating workbook
would therefore, for example, be able to specify how many printing plates
are
needed, and given the price for the printing plates for that particular
customer, thereby calculate a total printing plate price which will be
part
of the overall price.

In order to maintain the confidentiallity of these 20 individual
variables,
the workbook gives only the final price per printed output - ie the
overall
price. Also in order to maintain confidentiallity, I have written the
estimating workbook separate from the variables worksheet - the estimating
workbook uses links to the variables worksheet to calculate the final
price.

We send the customer just the estimating workbook, and not the variables
worksheet (as we obviously dont want them to see the individual
variables).
Yet the estimating workbook still works for them, even though they cannot
open the link to the variables worksheet - which is what I dont
understand.
Are the variables in fact somehow encoded intot the estimating workbook,
and
therefore not as hidden as we first thought?

When I have tried sending just the estimating workbook to another PC that
does not have access to the variables worksheet, the estimating workbook
works fine, and I cannot "find" the data from the variables worksheet
(other
than that I know it is part of the calculation within the estimating
workbook), which makes me think it is still kept hidden.

Does this make sense?!

Will