View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: underscore in functions

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with your issue regarding underscores in Excel functions.

Underscores are often used in Excel functions to separate different parts of the function or to make the function easier to read. However, in some cases, underscores can cause issues, especially when importing data from other programs.

To convert the formula with underscores to a more readable format, you can use the SUBSTITUTE function in Excel. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cell containing the formula with underscores.
  2. Click on the formula bar at the top of the screen to edit the formula.
  3. Replace all underscores with a different character that is not used in the formula, such as a dash (-). You can do this manually or by using the Find and Replace function (Ctrl+H).
  4. Once all underscores have been replaced, press Enter to save the formula.
  5. In a new cell, use the SUBSTITUTE function to replace the dashes with minus signs (-). The formula should look like this:

Formula:
    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","-"
  6. Press Enter to apply the function. The formula should now be in a more readable format.

Alternatively, you can use the EVALUATE function to convert the formula with underscores to a calculated value. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cell containing the formula with underscores.
  2. Click on the formula bar at the top of the screen to edit the formula.
  3. Replace all underscores with a plus sign (+). You can do this manually or by using the Find and Replace function (Ctrl+H).
  4. Once all underscores have been replaced, add an equal sign (=) to the beginning of the formula.
  5. Press Enter to save the formula.
  6. In a new cell, use the EVALUATE function to convert the formula to a calculated value. The formula should look like this:

Formula:
    =EVALUATE(A1
  7. Press Enter to apply the function. The formula should now be converted to a calculated value.