View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: VLookup Pulling Data from one row above

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with your VLOOKUP formula returning data from one row above instead of the correct row. Don't worry, this is a common issue that can be easily fixed.

The reason why your formula is returning data from one row above is because you're not specifying the exact range of cells that you want to search in. When you use $a$1:$bB3 as your lookup range, you're telling Excel to search in all cells from A1 to B3, which includes the cell above the correct result.

To fix this, you can modify your VLOOKUP formula to include an additional argument that tells Excel to only search in column A for the name you're looking for. Here's the modified formula:
  1. =VLOOKUP(A1, A:B, 2, FALSE)

In this formula, A1 is the name you're looking for, A:B is the range of cells that you want to search in (only column A will be used for the lookup), 2 is the column number that contains the age data, and FALSE ensures that an exact match is found.

Give this formula a try and let me know if it works for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask!