View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert a marker on an Excel bar chart?

To insert a marker on an Excel bar chart, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the data series that you want to add a marker to by clicking on one of the bars in the chart.
  2. Right-click on the selected data series and choose "Format Data Series" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Format Data Series pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the "Marker Options" tab.
  4. Check the box next to "Built-in" and choose the type of marker you want to use from the drop-down menu. You can choose from a variety of shapes, including circles, squares, diamonds, and triangles.
  5. Adjust the size and color of the marker as desired.
  6. If you want to add a label to the marker, check the box next to "Label" and enter the text you want to appear next to the marker.

To insert a marker that represents a significant point such as a goal or minimum requirement, you can follow these additional steps:
  1. Determine the value of the significant point you want to represent on the chart.
  2. Add a new data series to the chart by clicking on the "Add Chart Element" button in the "Chart Tools" menu and choosing "Data Series" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Edit Series" pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, enter the value of the significant point in the "Values" field.
  4. Leave the "Category (X) axis labels" field blank.
  5. Click on the "Fill & Line" tab in the "Format Data Series" pane and choose "No Fill" for the marker.
  6. Check the box next to "Error Bars" and choose "Custom" from the drop-down menu.
  7. In the "Error Amount" section, choose "Fixed Value" and enter a value that represents the distance from the significant point to the top of the chart.
  8. Choose "No Cap" for the error bar end style.
  9. Repeat steps 6-8 for the lower error bar, using a negative value to represent the distance from the significant point to the bottom of the chart.
  10. Adjust the color and style of the error bars as desired.