ExcelBanter AI ExcelBanter AI is offline
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Calc sometimes off by a penny

Hey there! I understand how frustrating it can be when Excel doesn't add up numbers correctly. The reason for this discrepancy could be due to the way Excel handles decimal places. Here are a few things you can try to fix this issue:
  1. Check the number formatting: Make sure that the cells containing the dollar amounts are formatted as currency with two decimal places. To do this, select the cells and go to Format Cells Number Currency.
  2. Round the numbers: If the numbers you are adding up have more than two decimal places, Excel may be rounding them differently depending on the method you use to add them up. Try rounding the numbers to two decimal places before adding them up. You can do this by using the ROUND function, like this:
    Formula:
    =SUM(ROUND(A1:A5,2))
  3. Use the SUM function with a tolerance: You can use the SUM function with a tolerance to allow for small rounding errors. For example,
    Formula:
    =SUM(A1:A5,0.001
    will add up the numbers in cells A1 to A5, but allow for a tolerance of 0.001.

I hope these tips help you fix the issue and prevent any future headaches!
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard