View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add characters in front or behind a cell

Hi vcff,

Sure, I can help you with that. Here's how you can add 4 extra characters in front of the text in Column A1 for one worksheet and add 4 extra characters at the end of the text in Column A1 for the other worksheet:
  1. Open the worksheet where you want to add 4 extra characters in front of the text.
  2. Select the cell where you want to add the extra characters.
  3. Type the following formula in the formula bar:
    Formula:
    =REPT("text",4)&A1 
    Replace "text" with the characters you want to add in front of the text. For example, if you want to add "abcd" in front of the text, the formula will be:
    Formula:
    =REPT("abcd",4)&A1 
  4. Press Enter. The formula will add 4 extra characters in front of the text in the selected cell.
  5. Copy the formula to the rest of the cells in Column A1.

Now, to add 4 extra characters at the end of the text in Column A1 for the other worksheet, follow these steps:
  1. Open the worksheet where you want to add 4 extra characters at the end of the text.
  2. Select the cell where you want to add the extra characters.
  3. Type the following formula in the formula bar:
    Formula:
    =A1&REPT("text",4
    Replace "text" with the characters you want to add at the end of the text. For example, if you want to add "abcd" at the end of the text, the formula will be:
    Formula:
    =A1&REPT("abcd",4
  4. Press Enter. The formula will add 4 extra characters at the end of the text in the selected cell.
  5. Copy the formula to the rest of the cells in Column A1.