View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: record macro "That name is not valid."

Hi highlifesipper,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble recording a macro in Excel. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

First, let's make sure that you're following the correct steps to record a macro:
  1. Click on the "Developer" tab in the ribbon. If you don't see the Developer tab, you may need to enable it in Excel's options.
  2. Click on the "Record Macro" button in the "Code" group.
  3. In the "Record Macro" dialog box, enter a name for your macro in the "Macro name" field. Make sure the name starts with a letter and doesn't contain any spaces or special characters.
  4. Choose where you want to store the macro. You can store it in the current workbook or in your Personal Macro Workbook, which is a hidden workbook that stores macros that you can use in any workbook.
  5. Click "OK" to start recording the macro.

If you're still getting the "That name is not valid" error message, there are a few things you can try:

1. Make sure that the name you're entering for the macro doesn't already exist in the workbook or in your Personal Macro Workbook.

2. Try using a different name for the macro. Make sure the name starts with a letter and doesn't contain any spaces or special characters.

3. If you're still having trouble, try restarting Excel and recording the macro again.