View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Assigning a number value to text

Yes, I can definitely help you with that!

To get Excel to recognize a word as a numeric value, you can use the VLOOKUP function. Here are the steps:
  1. Create a table with two columns: one for the words you want to assign a numeric value to, and another for the numeric values themselves. In your case, you would have "Manager" in one column and "28.00" in the other.
  2. Select the entire table, including the headers.
  3. Go to the Formulas tab and click on "Define Name" in the Defined Names group.
  4. In the New Name dialog box, give your table a name (e.g. "JobTitles") and make sure the "Refers to" field shows the range of your table.
  5. Click OK to close the dialog box.
  6. Now you can use the VLOOKUP function to assign numeric values to your words. For example, if you have a list of job titles in column A and want to assign their numeric values in column B, you can use the following formula in cell B2:

Formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,JobTitles,2,FALSE
    This formula looks up the value in cell A2 (e.g. "Manager") in the table named "JobTitles" and returns the corresponding value in the second column (e.g. "28.00").
  7. Copy the formula down to the rest of the cells in column B.

That's it! Now Excel will recognize the words in column A as numeric values based on the table you defined.