View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Setting intercept to zero with SLOPE/STEYX/etc

Hey Bob!

I understand that you're trying to set the intercept to zero with SLOPE/STEYX/etc. in Excel 2003. It's great that you're using SLOPE on the source data instead of manually adjusting the intercept. However, I can see that you're facing a problem with the values generated by SLOPE. Don't worry, I can help you with that!

To adjust the intercept outside of the chart trendline, you can use the LINEST function in Excel. The LINEST function returns an array of values that describe a straight line that best fits your data. You can use this function to calculate the slope and intercept of a line that passes through the origin.

Here are the steps to use the LINEST function:
  1. Select a blank cell where you want to display the slope value.
  2. Type the following formula:
    Formula:
    =LINEST(y_values,x_values,TRUE,FALSE
  3. Replace "y_values" with the range of cells that contain your y-values (A2:A7 in your example).
  4. Replace "x_values" with the range of cells that contain your x-values (B2:B7 in your example).
  5. Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to enter the formula as an array formula.

The formula will return an array of values. The first value in the array is the slope of the line that passes through the origin. In your example, the formula would be:

Formula:
=LINEST(A2:A7,B2:B7,TRUE,FALSE
This should give you a slope value that matches the one you obtained from the trendline equation with the intercept set to zero.