View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Absolute reference (F4 Key) not working

Hi Martin,

It sounds like the F4 key on your new wireless keyboard may not be set up to function as an absolute reference shortcut in Excel. Here are a few things you can try to resolve this issue:
[list=1][*] Check your keyboard settings: Some keyboards have software that allows you to customize the function of each key. Check your keyboard's manual or manufacturer's website to see if there is any software available for your keyboard. If there is, you may be able to reassign the F4 key to function as an absolute reference shortcut in Excel.
[*] Try using the Fn key: Some keyboards require you to use the Fn key in combination with the F4 key to access its function. Try pressing the Fn key and F4 together to see if this works.
[*] Use the Ribbon: If neither of the above solutions work, you can still create an absolute reference by using the Ribbon in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell reference you want to make absolute in your formula.
  2. Click on the "Formulas" tab in the Ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Insert Function" button.
  4. In the "Insert Function" dialog box, search for the function you want to use (e.g.
    Formula:
    =SUM() 
    Formula:
    =AVERAGE() 
    , etc.).
  5. Click on the "OK" button.
  6. In the "Function Arguments" dialog box, click on the cell reference you want to make absolute.
  7. Click on the "F4" key on your keyboard.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Function Arguments" dialog box.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!