View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: EXCEL ERROR - series formula is too long

Hi Bob,

I understand that you are facing an issue with creating a bar chart in Excel where you are getting an error message "series formula is too long" after adding a certain number of values. This error message usually occurs when the series formula exceeds the maximum limit of characters that Excel can handle.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Instead of selecting the cells by holding down the control key, try selecting the entire range of cells that you want to include in the chart. You can do this by clicking and dragging the mouse over the cells.
  2. If the above step doesn't work, you can try splitting the data into multiple series and creating separate charts for each series. To do this, select the first set of data that you want to include in the chart and create a chart. Then, select the next set of data and add it to the existing chart by right-clicking on the chart and selecting "Select Data". Repeat this process for all the sets of data that you want to include in the chart.
  3. Another option is to use a pivot chart instead of a regular chart. Pivot charts can handle large amounts of data and can be easily filtered and manipulated. To create a pivot chart, select the data that you want to include in the chart and go to the "Insert" tab in the ribbon. Click on "PivotChart" and select the type of chart that you want to create.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue.