cambridge

Default vlookup and IF function

I am trying to use vlookup and nested IF functions, but cannot get it to
work-maybe I am not using the right funtions. I have a number that I want to
look up and if it is not found, I want to add 1 to it and look that up. I
only need to do it about 5 times so I thought if I used vlookup & nested IF's
I could get it. Here is example:

1 2
2 5
3 6
4 7
I want to start with looking up 3 and if it is there, return 3 but if it
isn't, add 1 to the 3 and look it up and return it, and if it isn't add 2 to
the 3, look it up and return it and if it isn't, return 0.

Any ideas?