Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JOSEP OLIVA JOSEP OLIVA is offline

Default Finding the position of the nth item in a list

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 at 05:33:01 UTC+2, GS wrote:
Oh, yes, MATCH! I knew I should know this.

MATCH by itself will do exactly what I want. For some reason my brain froze.

Thanks, Garry. :-)

Glad to help!

I use MATCH() to return the position of a marker, then use INDEX() to return a
value. This works similar to a lookup function when the lookup value is
unknown.
--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I have this formula
=LOOKUP("MDSAP",SORT(I2:I),SORT(C2:C,I2:I,TRUE))
but I need to find all cells containing MDSAP in column I2:2 within a text.
I used "*MDSAP*" instead but it does not work.
Please help !
Thank you.