B. R.Ramachandran

Are there only first names (e.g., John, Judy) in column A; where are the
last names contained?
If column A has only first names, as I understand from your posting,

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$100,"John")

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"jhicsupt" wrote:

In Column A are the employees' names. The employee's name could be in the
column numerous times. Each employee belongs to a district, which is in
column B. So if name is John and it appears five times, then in cell C2, I
want to display 1. If there is another employee, Judy for instance that
appears 3 times, then in cell C2, I want to put 2, because there are 2 unique
names.

Can anyone help me with this formula?

Thanks in advance.