Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Check how date is entered

On 5/7/2018 4:38 PM, GS wrote:
"...most development languages use DateSerial"

Well, let's say most have a library available for the developer _to_ use. :)

Actually, for VB[A] it's called a runtime.dll which is, as noted, the dev app's
library. The developer has no control over the functions or methods the lib
exposes, though.

MS, of course, has a problem in that they think 1900 was a leap year so are
off by one compared to those who don't (correctly). I don't know which way
the C library work or POSIX or whether there's an interpretation on how
should work.

Most langs use DateSerial for date values since this has more-or-less been
adopted as a 'global' standard so 'regions' will capture the real value in
local formats.

I'm thinking, though, that terminology and familiarity with processes has
played a role in any misunderstandings that prevailed here. Entering 05/07/2018
into a cell in Excel (or any other spreadsheet) is raw data not text. Entering
that same data into a grid control is both raw data and text.

Don't know how your MatLab takes values but your dialog here suggests it
accepts string values that it uses to process whatever, OR interprets/treats
entered values as string data. Does this mean what gets entered is wrapped in
""? (You could enlighten me further on this, if you would please.)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc