Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

Default Consolidate On Steroids???

On 2/18/2018 11:13 PM, GS wrote:
For your use I'll have to work on removing personal information; don't
think you would need more than just a trivial dataset to illustrate
the idea; I'm sure with a rudimentary pattern of how a "real Excel
programmer" would do it I'd be able to extend it to suit.

Something similar to the example data you posted is fine. I just need to
see how that data is structured for the code logic.

Just so you know, I will use arrays to manage things as I'm not a fan of
doing worksheet read/writes due to the associated slowness.

How does the source data get into its worksheet?

At the moment the new year data still gets pasted into a new copy
manually for the spending calculation; then the rest is entered by hand
throughout the course of the year as described earlier.

The one-time new year isn't such a big deal; it's the revisiting for the
allocation and posting over the year that's the time-killer the new page
would alleviate a fair fraction of owing to the duplication/divisions in
how it is currently structured.

Again, just so _you_ know :) I'm not so much advocating reading/writing
the data; it's just that I can do what I need to get done that way much
more rapidly than the time it's taken to figure out the internals of
Excel to get something done that way...particularly when the data has
been scattered over a dozen sheets in a workbook for each year and I'm
looking at twenty years of financials...this isn't that much of an issue
in that it is just taking what's in one huge sheet at the moment and
turning it into two somewhat smaller ones but all the data is in the one
workbook.

I'll try to make a realistic sample case that isn't huge but at least
representative in the morning...