Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

Default Consolidate On Steroids???

On 2/18/2018 5:06 PM, GS wrote:
OK, this is a perfect task for SUMIF() because fund names are duplicated
in the various pools, but will be totalled in a single record on your
'consolidation' sheet. The *key* to making this possible is to use a
'structured' template for the consolidation sheet, and VBA to
auto-populate it with the appropriate data.

This is not a daunting task for most Excel programmers since this is a
very common type of task. The repetative nature of the task sets the
prerequiste for using a structured template designed to meet your
'report' needs, which can be inserted into any workbook where needed.
The easy part is that your consolidation sheet (I call it "Summary" in
my projects) only has to pull data from 1 sheet (I assume), not pull
from several sheets.

Perhaps we could collaborate on this project so you get started in this
concept with some measure of comfort?

I sorta' grok the idea; SUMIF() didn't precisely come to mind other than
for the numerics it certainly can compute the desired totals...I was
trying to figure out there was surely some way to merge with data tables
or the like; seemed like precisely what something like the CONSOLIDATE
engine out to be built to do...

What is your idea of how to "collaborate" here?

I've moaned about learning the VBA syntax for all the stinkin' Excel
objects before...it's trivial to pull the data out and use a real
programming language on it and put it back, but that only works while
I'm around to do it, unfortunately.