Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Cell not displaying as expected

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:25:46 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Why does the date in B6 not display fully, by overlapping into the next
col, like B1, B2, B3, etc? C6 etc have General format. No wrap enabled
on B6, C6, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58itk1jlq3...ay-01.jpg?dl=0

only text will overlap if it is longer. If numbers are longer than the
cell width you see only the number signs.

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks for the fast solution, Claus. That was nagging me for ages this
morning!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

But before I give up (I don't want to manually widen the column) is
there some way I can achieve it with a formula or VBA please?

IOW, if I type say 09/08/17 into B6, with cells empty to the right as
shown, is it possible to automatically display that in full? Especially
if I decide to apply a lengthier format such as 'dddd dd mmm yyyy',
giving 'Saturday 20 January 2018'.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Unfortunately, Excel requires an appropriate col width to display a date in a
chosen display format.

It would be nice if we had the ability to show ellipses when cell contents
extend beyond the border, and a popup note appear when we mouse over as does my
fpSpread.ocx I use to duplicate my Excel apps as stand-alone win.EXEs.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc