Wangs930 Wangs930 is offline
Junior Member

Post Need help creating a formula that automatically reallocates unspent funds

So lets say I have $10,000 to spend in travel from Jul to Jun. For budgeting purposes I have spread this evenly throughout the whole year ($833.33 per month). However, I am not spending it this consistently. In fact, I haven't spent any of it for the first three months of the year. I want to spend it all or I will lose it.

My spreadsheet is dynamic so when I update the month it looks for values in a database and reflects actual costs. Since I did not have any travel expenses in the first three months it assumes that money will not be spent and the new projected spend is $7,500 because the first three months are now empty. I need a formula that will take the $10,000 and evenly allocate it across the remaining 9 months, so each month would show a budget of $1,111.11 now.

I need the formula to update every time I change the month and to basically do this calculation and spread it evenly across the remaining months:
(Original budgeted amount ($10,000) - money spent through current month($0)) / remaining months in the year(9 months).

My current formula after the Vlookup to pull from the database is as follows: IF(Firstmonth (greater than) currentmonth, 10,000/12,0)

Last edited by Wangs930 : October 13th 17 at 03:13 PM