View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default XIRR Giving Negative Number on Positive Cash Flow Stream

To avoid any calculations that annualize returns I'll substitute for W's example cash amounts of $100 and -$90. I will also use IRR, but XIRR would give the same result if the dates were one period, e.g. a year, apart. IRR gives a return of -10%. The -10% would make sense if the $100 was a buy and the -$90 was a sale. The cash amounts are the same for each, the equation solved is the same for each, and Excel doesn't ask which type of scenario it is.

I believe the -10% still makes sense for a short sale. Regard it as "paying -10% interest", which can be translated to "receiving +10% interest."

A comparable situation is a loan. Suppose a lender charges 10% interest with cash amounts of -$100 and +$110. IRR answers +10%. The borrower's cash amounts are $100 and -$110. IRR answers +10%. That makes sense -- there is only one loan. Yet the borrower's net cash flow is -$10 and the lender's is +$10. It's similar for the buy and the short. IRR gives the same rate of return but the cash flows are opposite.