Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Image distortion during printing and preview

On Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 12:10:02 AM UTC-6, canology wrote:
I have been inserting jpg images into Excel and while they look fine while I
am in the actual worksheet, the images get stretched to a small but
noticable degree when I see them in Print Preview (or actually print them).
The images have had the aspect ratio locked. I am using Excel 2000.

Any ideas on this?

How many thousands of hours do people lose trying to find workarounds for
issues like these??? Why hasn't Microsoft addressed this in the past 15
years??? Why are some posts so evidently disconnected from reality
(suggesting to use another printer driver), when all it takes to reproduce
this issue is to paste a circle shape on a sheet and print preview??? BTW,
another printer driver does NOT fix this issue. In my case, copying and
pasting did not fix the issue either.

If Microsoft actually cared, they could hire people that suggest fixes that
actually work.

I finally found a good workaround here ...

https://www.excelforum.com/excel-gen...ght-width.html

Look for post #14 from Chinchilla. This guy nailed it.

I am stunned on how the web is littered with posts about Microsoft products
not working as they should.

FWIW:
I'm not saying Chinchilla's 'fix' is bogus BUT I'm thinking there must be some
other (yet unfound) aspect contributing to this issue, because...

I've been authoring instruction manuals of various types in Excel for 20+ years
and never experienced any distortion in PP or hardcopy. My template config is
Arial 8 font by default. The content uses jpg images resized for web use or
converted to gif for transparency, and lots of line art and autoshapes in
schematics and diagrams. Image sizing is measured in the default 'cm' scale as
are the line art and autoshapes. Screen res was 1920x1200 in the old days,
1920x1080 nowadays because I also do solid CAD work. DPI is also set higher
(120) than the default (96) display setting.

Now I have noticed the newer low-res displays seem somewhat distorted when
viewing my manuals, but they seem to print just fine otherwise. (Haven't done
PP there)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!