Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] joe@firstcourt.com is offline

Default Excel should let me create pivot tables of non-numeric data.

Jon,

I am trying to build a pivot table summarizing my text data. Basically, I have 7 different stages of my client lifecycle, and a list of each deal stage each client is at. So two columns of text data, that i would like to summarize in a pivot table instead of in columns. I have the pivot table built with "deal stage" as the columns, "client name" as the rows, and "deal stage" as the values, but the table only displays zero's or blank. What am I doing wrong? Any recommendations on how to display?
Thank you!
Joe

On Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 10:23:01 AM UTC-6, Jon Peltier wrote:
You can make a pivot table of text data, as long as all you want is counts.
What are you trying to do?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Geek4Life" wrote in message
Basically, the need is to build multi-dimensional tables of text. This
would
be more ideal in Word, but Excel PivotTables comes so close...if only it
allowed text data.

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.