Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
stainless[_2_] stainless[_2_] is offline

Default VBA- Finding texts built from regex patterns

I need to recognise patterns in text starting with a specific variable text value and ending in 0-3 numeric values.

For example:

I have several strings of text that I am searching for at the start of a text string:

FDC

PP

Doctor

So I will want to loop through these (already in an array) and test whether a text string starts with these values and ends with 0-2 numeric digits:

i.e. Text string "S01" is true

"PQ" is false

"FDC99" is true

"Doctor" is true

"Dr01" is false

I have not worked much with Regex before so am struggling to workout how I recognise the pattern for each of the strings. Any ideas?

If I do find ,matches, I will then replace the text part with a different string

i.e. "S" is replaced by "Stamps "
"FDC" is replaced by "First Day Covers "

"PP" is replaced by "Presentation Packs "
"Doctor" is replaced by "Doctor Who "

The replacement texts are in the same array BinderNames(1 To BinderCount, 1 To 2) so the first and 2nd entries in each row are the search text and the replacement text.

Is there a simple way of using Regex to do this?