Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_4_] Terry Pinnell[_4_] is offline

Default How to handle Brackets [ ]

Milo Bloom wrote:

I have a formula I want to put into Excel and I tried using () instead
of brackets and I do not get the correct answer, Below is the equation.

100/[(100-165.03)/113.78]+113.78*62.4 The answer should be 132.78

Any help would be helpful

Thanks in Advance.

Milo,

As far as I can tell, your intended expression looks like this:
1. (100-165.03) = -65.03
2. -65.03/113.78 = -0.5715
3. 100/-0.5715 = -174.98
4. 113.78*62.4 - 7099.9

So it would give the result
5. -174.98 + 7099.9 = 6924.9

Could you break it up into parts again, if necessary with generous
spacing, and using square brackets where that helps clarify the meaning.
By then you may have answered your own question! Replacing the square
brackets with normal bracket in Excel, hopefully you should then get the
result you expect!

If not, come back so that we can take another look.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK