Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_4_] Terry Pinnell[_4_] is offline

Default Why doesn't this content get fully displayed?

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 22 Jan 2017 15:57:37 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I raised this early in December and I thought I'd sort of answered it
myself... But on returning to it today I still don't really understand
why cell b6 get doesn't get fully displayed as 'Saturday 21 January
2017', stretching into column C, like the cells above? (C6 is empty, of
course.)

thats the behaviour of a numbers and dates. Only text will extend to the
cell of the right if this cell is empty.
If columns are too small numbers are shown in scientific format and
dates as number signs.
You have to enlarge the columns width or create a text formatted date if
you don't have to calcualte with.

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks Claus, understood. A disappointing limitation IMO.

I can't use one of the obvious solutions so my workaround is to
temporarily widen col B and use an OCR tool to capture it as text:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ined%2BOCR.jpg

Any thoughts on the authenticity of the other obscure reply here please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK