Dave Peterson

You may want to spend a little time learning about data|pivottables.

If you select your range (include one row of headers)
then data|pivottable
follow the wizard until you see a dialog with a Layout button on it.
click that button
drag the date "button" to the row field
drag the amount button to the data field
finish up that wizard.

Now you have individual dates in column A.
rightclick and group those dates by month and year.

If you can't group that data, then you probably have non-date stuff in your raw
data (blanks or text). Fix it and try again.

thornomad wrote:

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of dates in A column, text in B
column, and amounts in C column (simple bookkeeping).

On a different sheet in the workbook, I want to collect the totals by month
(for budgeting). How can I setup a formula that will SUMIF by MONTH ? I just
want it to scan the whole list and total the amounts for a given month but I
can't 'seem to figure it out.

Thank you,

Dave Peterson