Tenaj

Hey D -

You can use an 'array formula' for the calculation - here's a sample:

=SUM(IF(Sheet1!$A$4:$A$14=Sheet2!B3,Sheet1!$C$4:$C $14))

the trick to making this work is that after you compose the formula, you
MUST hold down your 'shift' and 'ctrl' key before pressing enter. Otherwise
you'll error out. Also, col. A of your source data must be Jan, Feb, Mar,
etc. and a similar table must be created on the sheet you want the data to
sum to. If you have dates like 01/5/05, or January 15, 2005 - make sure that
you had a col. adjacent where you can denote that data as just January, etc.

--
tenaj

"thornomad" wrote:

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of dates in A column, text in B
column, and amounts in C column (simple bookkeeping).

On a different sheet in the workbook, I want to collect the totals by month
(for budgeting). How can I setup a formula that will SUMIF by MONTH ? I just
want it to scan the whole list and total the amounts for a given month but I
can't 'seem to figure it out.

Thank you,