RagDyeR

You're correct about Index() referencing a single cell, *BUT* ... that
single cell sets the range for the Sum() function.

Your formula starts the range to sum at B16, so:

=Sum(B16:M16)
Would add all 12 months ... right?

My formula starts the Sum() function at B16, and then indexes the entire
range (B16:M16), and then allows your Vlookup() function to set the
reference point within the index.

I'm assuming that your Vlookup() function returns the numbers 1 to 12,
depending on the month entered in B1.

So the formula ends up in a pseudo fashion of:

=Sum(B16 to wherever along B16:M16 that Vlookup tells it to stop at)

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Monte75" wrote in
message ...

Actually the name error was my fault. What I'm getting isn't correct,
however. If I understand the function correctly, OFFSET() allows me to
sum a whole range of numbers, such as columns A thru G, while the
INDEX() just pulls one cell. I need the range because I am adding
monthly numbers to make a YTD number. The formula lets me change the
Month in cell $B$1 and not have to change information in every single
formula.

--
Monte75
Monte75's Profile: