Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_4_] Terry Pinnell[_4_] is offline

Default XLSM and XLSX - what's the difference?

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:10:29 +0100 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use any
new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started using
xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved earlier,
I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can open the
VBA Editor.

if you open xls files in compatibility mode they can contain macros and
you can run the macros.
If you want to convert your files to the new file system you have to
save them as xlsm or xlsb.
If you create code and then save the workbook as xlsx the code will be
deleted.

Regards
Claus B.

Claus, Garry: Thanks both. Reckon I understand it now. It seems the
crucial point is that xlsm and xlsx can both RUN macros, but only xlsm
can save/store them. I've converted my few xlsx to xlsm and will use
that from now on.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK