Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default XLSM and XLSX - what's the difference?

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 14:57:31 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm
does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use
any new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started
using xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved
earlier, I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can
open the VBA Editor.

If it helps, here's an example of an xlsx that supports macros and
VBE, contrary to all that I read.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rosAndVBE.xlsx

The fine print says "supports Macros and VBE" but I don't use either.
Both XLSM and XLSX file work for me just as XLS files did 30 years
ago. I'm easily pleased!

Steve

So do XLA and XLT as well as any custom extensions like myappa, myappt!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc