Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Read (and parse) file on the web

GS wrote:
After looking at your link to p5, I see what you mean by the amount
of
storage space, but filename is not a factor. Parsing will certainly
downsize each file considerably...

One has to open the file to parse, so that is not logical.
The function URLDownloadToFile gives zero options - it copies ALL
of the source into a TEMP file; one hopes that the source is not
equal to or larger than 4GB in size!

For pages on the web, that is extremely unlikely; webpage size max
limit prolly is 10MB; maybe 300K worst case on the average.

So, once in TEMP, it can be opened for input (text), for random
(may specify buffer size), or for binary (may specify buffer size).
Here,one can optimize read speed VS string space used.

Your last statement contradicts your first statement. Sounds like you
need to do some *extensive* research into standard VB file I/O
procedures and general parsing techniques!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc