JulieD

Hi HL

do you want to count all of the "actives" or only count people who are
listed twice (active / inactive) as one - i'm guess i'm asking if the answer
to your example is
4
or
2

if you want to count all the actives use the COUNTIF function
=COUNTIF(B1:B6,"Active")

if its the other option i'm not sure of how to do it - maybe someone else
has an idea.

Cheers
JulieD

"HL" wrote in message
I have two columns in my worksheet. In column A I have the last name and
in
column B I have "active" or "inactive"

Example:
Column A Column B
Johnson Active
Johnson Inactive
Smith Active
Newsome Active
Martin Active
Martin Inactive

What I want to do is count the users who are listed as both "active" and
"inactive" once--counting them only as "active." For the above example, I
would only Johnson and Martin as "active" and ignore the listing for them
that states "inactive." (by the way, although Johnson is listed twice, it
is
still the same person--just two different status)

I do not know what function or formula to use. Please help me.