Anirudh

Hi Ian,

try this for sum

=countif(E:E,"3C",A:A)

formatconditional formatingcell value isis equal to5a

and press formal botton and select the color

and for coloring the cell use conditional formation

"Ian.UK" wrote:

Hi all,

This is probably very straight forward, but I hope someone can assist.

I have a spreadsheet with information about students in a school. Their
names and other information are in columns A - D, and their grades are in
column E onwards. The grades are normally something like "3C" or "5A" etc,
sometime just Y(es) or N(o).

Could someone provide me with a quick formula to total up how many students
achieved a particular grade in each column (so for example, how many students
have 3C against their name in column E).

Along with this, I wondered if there was some programming I could do to make
a particular cell change colour when text is typed into it (for example all
cells containing 5A turn red automatically).

Thanks in advance for any help offered.