Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike S[_5_] Mike S[_5_] is offline

Default req. for ideas for numeric worksheet

On 4/22/2016 9:41 PM, GS wrote:
Mike,
Typically.., some sort of 'code' or 'flag' is used to show current
status. What these are is entirely user specific such as your suggestion
to use "n/r", for example. I'd avoid using a slash character, though, as
your example "n/a" is an intrinsic error flag.
You don't need to be consistent in the length of the status code IMO as
it's more benefit it be descriptive in context to its usage...
T0 = Taxable at TaxRate0 (0%)
T1 = Taxable at TaxRate1
T2 = Taxable at TaxRate2
NT = Not Taxable
TX = Tax Exempt
...and so on
HTH

Thanks GS,

Are there any tricks for handling these characters instead of numeric
input? Is my best approach to make all of the cells TEXT and then
process them individually looking for either numeric or specific coded
entries (like the ones you listed) when testing for legal inputs? Also
is there a way to have the cells change fill and text color when certain
strings are entered into them? I'm still learning Excel and wondering
how to make this sheet easy to use.
Thanks again,
Mike