Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T[_7_] Peter T[_7_] is offline

Default Can't find project or library

"GS" wrote in message
Gary, ADO Library 6.1 is the current version of MS ActiveX Data Object
for Win7. Your 2.5 is a very old version.

Thanks, Peter. I have never installed any ado libs on this machine
deliberately, so I assume some software did this. Also, I have no listings
for any other versions and so if they should be there then perhaps I have
a similar situation to the 'missing' components mentioned in the VB6
forum. I say this because all the newer versions are in the folder with
2.5 but they won't register because their 'entry point server' is missing.
Looks like I need to find replacements...

Distributing with the ADO reference can be problematic because as you say,
the entry point is different in respective versions, not even backwards
compatible (IOW not compiled as binary compatible). I don't use it much
myself but AIUI safer to develop with early binding, then before
distributing adapt to late binding and remove the reference.

On which point, Håkan it might be worth adapting your project to late
binding, then it'll probably pick up whatever ADO version is installed, even
Garry's 2.5! (assuming not using any methods only available in the later
version)

Peter T