Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default VBA project does not close when workbook is closed

"GS" wrote in message
I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same issue crop
up whether I open and close files manually or programmatically.

I did not have Google Desktop installed, but after tons of
searches and much deep thinking :-), found another culprit that
might assist others with this issue. Namely:add-ins. I had the
Adobe PDF Maker add-in enabled. Adobe has gotten quite invasive
recently with new versions coming out seemingly daily. It even
rebooted my box overnight once, so I don't see it installing an
add-in by itself as out of the realm of possibility.

Anyway, I disabled that add-in and the isse went away.

Just an FYI.

Adobe PDFMaker is a COMAddin and should have no effect on any open
files, normally. I don't use it because I have Acrobat and so use
its printer for creating PDFs. However, enabling the COMAddin
doesn't raise the issue cited here. (Using xl2010)

-- Garry

Hi Garry,

Some particular COMAddins do sometimes appear to be responsible for
VBA projects apparently remaining open in project-explorer even after
the workbook had closed. This could occur even if the suspect
COMAddin had no obvious connection to said project.

It's always been a mystery as it can be intermittent and hard to pin
down, ie sometimes if not normally the suspect COMAddin doesn't cause
any closed workbook to leave its project (sort of) still open. Over
the years certain COMAddins (and various other things like the Google
desktop) have been identified as being more likely responsible than
others.

From memory this even occurred in XL97 which didn't support
COMAddins, though possibly some addin referenced to some ActiveX dll
might have been related, only a guess. Search this group for phantom
and/or ghost projects, you might see my name in some very old posts!

Regards,
Peter T

Thanks, Peter! As usual.., most helpful.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc