Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T[_7_] Peter T[_7_] is offline

Default VBA project does not close when workbook is closed

"GS" wrote in message
I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same issue crop up
whether I open and close files manually or programmatically.

I did not have Google Desktop installed, but after tons of searches and
much deep thinking :-), found another culprit that might assist others
with this issue. Namely:add-ins. I had the Adobe PDF Maker add-in
enabled. Adobe has gotten quite invasive recently with new versions
coming out seemingly daily. It even rebooted my box overnight once, so I
don't see it installing an add-in by itself as out of the realm of
possibility.

Anyway, I disabled that add-in and the isse went away.

Just an FYI.

Adobe PDFMaker is a COMAddin and should have no effect on any open files,
normally. I don't use it because I have Acrobat and so use its printer for
creating PDFs. However, enabling the COMAddin doesn't raise the issue
cited here. (Using xl2010)

--
Garry

Hi Garry,

Some particular COMAddins do sometimes appear to be responsible for VBA
projects apparently remaining open in project-explorer even after the
workbook had closed. This could occur even if the suspect COMAddin had no
obvious connection to said project.

It's always been a mystery as it can be intermittent and hard to pin down,
ie sometimes if not normally the suspect COMAddin doesn't cause any closed
workbook to leave its project (sort of) still open. Over the years certain
COMAddins (and various other things like the Google desktop) have been
identified as being more likely responsible than others.

From memory this even occurred in XL97 which didn't support COMAddins,
though possibly some addin referenced to some ActiveX dll might have been
related, only a guess. Search this group for phantom and/or ghost projects,
you might see my name in some very old posts!

Regards,
Peter T