Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Dynamic Data Validation list

Hi GS,

I am aware of this however it does not support the use of dynamic
named ranges. When you try to use one you will receive an empty
resultset / zero records. Change the named range to a fixed area and
the problem disappears, change it back to dynamic and it returns. You
can use ADO with many different data sources actually. Its extremely
flexible and suits most anything you could want to do - except with
Excel.

When using ADO with Excel named ranges, I usually pass its .Address to
overcome this deficiency. Given your sample lists, I don't see why ADO
shouldn't work in your desired fashion.

I am beginning to wonder whether or not this limitation within Excel
is deliberate. It seems odd that this one specific functional
requirement is the one that you cant perform no matter how you
approach it. In the meantime I'll just use the API to suck the data
into a BE dtabase and stick an Access FE on top of it. I can pull in
whatever Excel functions I might need for processing or analysis and
get the best of both worlds without the headaches. Good thing I am
highly proficient with databases and MS Access as an FE.

What I see commonly is that most people proficient in Access have
erroneous expectations when trying to work in Excel in any similar
fashion. I think it's a major disadvantage to MS Office users that its
components are still developed as stand-alone apps and so aren't better
integrated to work together.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!