Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Frog[_2_] The Frog[_2_] is offline

Default Dynamic Data Validation list

Hi Everyone,

I have a worksheet with a two column list on it. It looks like this:
A B
_____________________________
MakeA Red
MakeA Green
MakeA Blue
MakeB Orange
MakeB Cyan
MakeB Blue
MakeC Purple
MakeC Violet
MakeC Red

and so on.

I have a dynamic named range for each of the columns, 'Make' and 'Model'.

What I would like to do is to create a dynamic data validation list based on the selection of 'Make' so that the appropriate 'Model's are listed in the dropdown.

I have seen a number of different approaches to this on the net, but have not had any success in implementing them. Often the explanations of their workings are convoluted and confusing.

An example use would look like this:

Cell A1 has a data validation dropdown that lists the possible makes (I have a separate list that has unique entries one for each make). The user selects the 'Make' they want and the cell B1 has a data validation dropdown which lists only the models appropriate to that 'Make'.

Can anyone help me create the dynamic data validation dropdown?

Cheers

The Frog