Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Brian is offline

Default Margins and cell widths

On 07/02/2016 18:24, GS wrote:
That's great, Brian! Glad to help and I appreciate the feedback.

I know the RowHeight is font-dependant and so is the reason the value
doesn't 'jive' with ColumnWidth. For example, to set up a sheet for
creating forms I start with a graph paper layout grid. Using Arial 8pt
as my default font...

RowHt = 12.00
ColWd = 2.00

..to get square-ish cells so I can manage options as checkboxes or
choices directly on the form via Worksheet events. Naturally the
gridlines are turned off so I use the 'dotted' border style for field
input areas. My point is.., changing to a taller font or larger font
size makes the cells more rectangular vertically and so messes up the
square appearance of my bordered option cells.<g

The real point is that Excel is not a layout program. If one is really
serious about the final print layout one should use something like
Crystal Reports or possibly InDesign. I have used Crystal Reports - I
found it very difficult but it is an amazing program - with it one can
achieve the precise layout that one wants extracting data from one or
more Excel spreadsheets, correct to a fraction of a millimetre. (By
the way, Crystal Reports is very expensive!). Using Excel for print
layout will always be for the poor man, poor in time and poor in money!

Regards

Brian